Saturday, February 4, 2017

British Pullover

It took me approx. 4 weeks to make this. The pattern is Cheryl Oberle's British School Pullover from her Folk Vest book.  I used Rowan's Pure Wool DK Superwash. There was a problem with the pattern in the neck decrease area for the front.  Assistance from my FB knitting group and fifteen credits of college math algebra finally became useful.  


Notice the row of cables to the right of the V-neck.  That last cable looks too long.  The knitter stopped doing the cable-ing when she started running out of all the stitches needed to do the cable. What she could have done is do a 3 stitch cable.  It looks worse being long and nobody would have noticed if she cabled with one less stitch. That's a trick I learned from Judith Durant.  
Being blocked

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Ugh.

And especially not me. 

Folk Vest

I'm making the Cheryl Oberle British School Pullover from her book Folk Vests.  There is a vague area in the directions near the V-neck but with the help of my Facebook Knitting group and 15 credits of college algebra, I was able to figure it out. X=6.  Unfortunately this was not one of the corrections listed as mistakes on the Interweave Press website. :(

I need to print out the rest of the mistakes in this book because there are a lot of other vests in the book I want to make.  Finished pics soon but this is it so far.  Yes Diana it's gray, my fav :)






Punch Needle

Taking a punch needle class at a not so local quilt shop. (Pickering Farm) 45 minute drive but worth it compared to what is around me.  The instructor was awesome.  Learned a ton and really like the process.  Next week we learn finishing techniques :). Of course I had to do something with a sheep on it.  





Chemo Recovery Quilt

My friend Sue is undergoing chemo.  I had a quilt in the works for another one of my Facebook give aways just to move the fabric out of the house but when she told me her diagnosis, I decided this one would be for her.  Sue worked at the police department with me so with the help of retired police department friends and current police department friends we made the quilt extra special by including the well wishes, prayers and warm thoughts of her friends.  

I mailed out 6 1/2" squares with instructions of what kind of pen to write with and included a self addressed stamped envelope.  One of my old co-workers rounded up Sue's friends at the department which was like herding kittens with all the shifts.

When I got the patches back, I put individual backs on them.  Then I appliqued fabric envelopes around the border of the back of the quilt and was able to fit two patches in each envelope.

A larger yellow envelope was used for a label.  The straggler blocks can fit in there too.  I mailed it to my friend Judy who delivered it to Sue last week. She just loved it :). Some of the pictures were taken at her house.  You can see she had all the patches out and was reading them. :). 






Christmas Socks

My friend Cheryl knit these for me. We exchanged late this year because we were too busy knitting for other people :). I just love the colors. Fall-ish.  Thanks Cheryl D. :)