Thursday, March 12, 2015

Luck of the Irish....yeah right :)

So yesterday I made the cake to be entered into the contest and the cake part turned out just as good as the practice cake.

Last night I made the caramel topping.  At one point in the recipe, it says you need to cook 2 cups of sugar and some water until the sugar turns a "dark amber" color.  Well it didn't do that the first time. I know it was because I didn't cook it long enough and I was stirring it too much.

But when I made the second cake, the sugar did turn dark amber.  Great right???? Wrong.  The topping when it was done was like a melting Sugar Daddy lollypop. I don't know if they make them anymore.  I had all I could do to pour it on the cake without it hardening mid air.  The pan I cooked it in may never be the same again.  Then I went to bed.  Got up early today to take it to the contest and...........it's hard as a rock.  Now I know why they say "serve warm".

The recipe is awesome but you have to serve it right away.  So if you make it according to the directions, make sure you have 6 to 8 of your dearest friends around to eat it up right away.  If you need to make the cake ahead of time, make it as the recipe says but don't cook the sugar and water until it turns "dark amber".  Get it off the stove sooner.  Here was the cake that didn't make it into the contest.  The top was hard as a rock.  Oh well there's always next year and this cake gave more than a few people a good laugh :)



1 comment:

Rilly said...

This sounds like a Burnt Sugar Cake my mother used to make in the 40's. It was to die for but my only two attempts years later got the same results you did. Maybe I needed the old wood cook stove, the beat up aluminum sauce pan and as mom would say "you're not holding your tongue right".