Saturday, January 18, 2014
My Navy buddy Debbie's mother died in the beginning of this year. Debbie found this in the basement when we were digging out canning jars. She vaguely remembers her mother and grandmother working on it. The fabrics in it are either real 1930s fabrics or they are reproductions. Anyway she asked if there was anything I could do with it. Sure!! (Honestly I had no idea :)) Do I love a challenge or what ;) It smelled bad...so the first thing I did was toss "Old Smelly" in the washing machine on gentle cycle with some Oxyclean, detergent and fabric softener.
Her mother loved polka dots. At her memorial service (which she wrote herself), she told her husband George to paint polka dots in the living room. :) So with that in mind, I ended up cutting out circles of light weight fusible interfacing, stitching it to the good parts of the quilt (fusible side in/good side of quilt top in), cutting a slit in the fusible and turning it inside out. Then I fused it to the very light pink background fabric. Used Superior Mono Poly thread and did an invisible machine applique stitch all the way around the circles. There was very little left of the quilt by the time I got done with it. To make the quilt as big as possible, I set it on point.
Bought some border fabric and backing fabric today and hope to finish quilting it by next week. I'll post finished pics soon.
Made for my friend John in Michigan.
Here is the pattern link:
Yarn is 100% alpaca.
Monday, January 13, 2014
Okay I'm having computer problems or maybe blogger is having problems...I don't know...but I can't upload pics. I'm looking at a multi-color spinning ball. This is a new one for me. So if I ever figure out what's going on, I'll have a ton of pictures to post. I hate technology....give me a pile of wool any day over a malfunctioning website or computer. If any other bloggers were having the same problem, email me....talk simple :)