Sunday, May 18, 2014

Garden 2014

Last year I put the garden in too early and it got hit with a late frost and looked rather sad for the rest of the summer. So I'm holding off putting in the above ground veggies for a bit longer.  Last night the weather man said part of the state would be getting hit with frost so now I'm really glad I waited.  But I'm probably a little behind in putting in the below ground veggies so this weekend I planted russet potatoes and red onions. Last year I planted some "new white" potatoes that had gone bad in the pantry as a result of short lived decision to go "no carb".  "No carb" lasted only long enough for the bag of potatoes to go bad, be cut up and stuck in the ground. They turned out really good but some of them were on the small side.  So this year I went to the local farmers' supply store and bought a 10 lb. bag of russets to plant along with a bag of red onion bulbs.  The herb garden from last year is coming back.  And while I was clearing out the weeds and turning over the dirt, I let a couple of the "girls" free range and eat bugs :)  





No comments: