Friday, August 5, 2011

Green Beans with Pecans and Warm Honeyed Apple Dressing

I cut the recipe by half.  Here's the original recipe:
2 lbs. of fresh green beans
2 cups of chopped Granny Smith apples
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 t. fresh minced garlic (I used from a jar.)
3 T. honey
2 T. balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup of apple cider (I couldn't find any in August at our grocery store so I used apple juice.)
1 T. Dijon mustard
1/4 cup crumbled Feta cheese
1/4 cup of pecans lightly toasted (I used straight out of the bag...no toasting).

Trim the stem ends from the green beans and leave the points.
Bring pot of water to a boil and drop in the beans. Blanche  the beans until they are light green (about one minute...mine took a bit longer.)  After they are blanched, drain and rinse under cold water. 
Meanwhile combine apples, oil, garlic, honey, vinegar, cider and mustard in a small sauce pan and over medium high heat bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and cool until warm.  

I took the picture before I added the pecans. Imagine Pecans :)

Arrange the beans on a platter.  Sprinkle with the Feta cheese and pecans.  Stir the warm dressing well and spoon it over the beans.  Really good !!!  From the cookbook:  Eating for Acid Reflux.  The dressing is what really makes this recipe good.  I would consider using it over other vegetables too. 

No comments: