Friday, April 1, 2011

Scalloped potato-onion bake

Saturday the hubbster and I were in BJ's Warehouse buying massive amounts of peanut butter and tuna fish for church pantry...and of course you never get out of that place buying just what you came in for.  The hubbster was looking at the books and decided I needed another cookbook,  Apparently he hasn't noticed that I should be in the Betty Ford Clinic for Cookbook-aholics and I'm married to an enabler. Anyway long story short, he picked out the "Great Tasting Potatoes" cookbook.  Fortunately he didn't venture into produce so we left the store without hauling a 100 lb. bag of potatoes behind us :)   















So today I made this for him.  I'm doing Nutrisystem now.  I won't be eating it.  All this cooking and knitting is making me fat!!! But you know what also makes a woman look thinner?............Standing next to a fatter husband....so I'm doubling up his portions in case the Nutrisystem does not work :)  But I digress...here's the recipe. :)
 
1 can of condensed Cream of celery soup
1/2 cup milk
Dash of black pepper
4 medium poatoes (about 1 1/4 lbs.) thinly sliced
1 small onion thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
1 T. butter cut into pieces
Paprika to taste

1.  Stir the soup, milk, and pepper with a wish in a small bowl.
Layer half the taters, half the onions and half the soup mixter in a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.  (It didn't mention giving it a spritz of Pam but I did.) Repeat the layers on emore time.  Spinkle the butter on top. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 1 hour.
2.  Uncover and bake for 15 minutes more or until potatoes are fork-tender. 

Saturday's menu Spanish Tortillas (with potatoes)
Sunday it's Potato Pierogis.
Monday it's Potato Cheddar Soup


No comments: